Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Guardian

Year: 2006
Director: Andrew Davis
Notable Actors/Actresses:
Kevin Costner
Ashton Kutcher
Sela Ward
John Heard
Neal McDonough

Last Viewed: 6/21/11
Number of views: Maybe 10

When I first learned of this movie, it was on a billboard and immediately I discredited the worthiness of viewing this film. I am a long time fan of Costner's and really thought this film had to coincide with an episode of Punk'd. I was very wrong in my blind judgment.

The Guardian probably did not receive much praise when it came out but when I saw it, I changed my tune very quickly. The movie brings the two main characters together through a tragedy experienced by Senior Chief Ben Randall, played by Costner, as he and his crew went out on a rescue mission for the U.S. Coast Guard. Ben is transferred temporarily to the training facility for new recruits for the Coast Guard. As with all films, we can never be sure how truly tough any training really is but what the recruits had to go through while Ben was their instructor, makes it worth the ultimate honor and sacrifice these individuals go through to save lives. Both Ben and Ashton Kutcher's character, Jake have been through fairly similar tragedies in their lives, are bred to go beyond the call of duty, and hidden within their abrasive attitudes toward each other, built a wonderful respect for each other that changes Jake's perspective forever.

My interest tends to gravitate towards these types of stories and there is no exception here. The U.S. Coast Guard probably doesn't get much notice amongst the services and this film did help educate me on their importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts