Sunday, April 5, 2015

Whiplash

Year: 2014
Director: Damien Chazelle

Notable Actors/Actresses:
J.K. Simmons
Miles Teller
Paul Reiser

Last Viewed: Recently

Number of views: 1, should not be the last view though

Continuing my Oscar's 2015 reviews, J.K Simmons won for a movie I was not aware of. Now I am. I also saw this movie in a preview and needed to see more. Why did J.K win and what's this movie about?

Not having any expectations or understanding of the movie, I can tell that this was going to be a movie about achieving musical greatness the hard way, obviously. Miles Teller's character - Andrew stops at nothing to win over J.K.'s character - Fletcher at being noted as the best drummer Fletcher has ever seen. Andrew has the capability but never receives that confirmation from Fletcher... ever.

I was on my feet for this film. The tension between Andrew and Fletcher is felt almost instantly from the time they meet all throughout the film into the ending sequence. The theme of needing that approval to validate greatness is underscored. I would say, its about how far someone is willing to go on someone's else direction to achieve greatness. Very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts